This is the first version submitted to CRAN for the book as published in the R Series.
Versions starting from 1.0.0 are for the book as published in the R Series. Earlier versions were for various partial drafts of the book, as pre-published through LeanPub. The book was published a few of weeks ago, but shipping has started in the last few days.
I created the word cloud on the cover of “Learn R as a Language” using an R script that takes as input the file for the book index, as generated when creating the PDF from the LaTeX source files. This input file contained quite a lot of additional information, like font changes and page numbers that needed to be stripped into a clean list of words. Only later I realized that it would have been easier to produce a cleaner word list to start with. So, I first present the code revised to work with a simpler word list. This is actually tested with the book files to work. If you want to do something similar for your own book, follow the revised code in first section below. If you want to see the “hacked-up” code I really used for the cover as included in the book, it is in the second section below.
My new book was published on 28 July. Within the next few days I will make available on-line supplementary material, and explain how I created in R the word cloud in the front cover of the book. The word list I used is that for the R index from the book. I typeset the book using LaTeX. It is currently available from the publisher through the book’s web page.
Back to Top